[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Sep 5 21:25:00 BST 2021

On Sep 5, 2021, at 3:47 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking in on Chapter 3.
>
> The story opens with Fia going behind her father's back (sort of) to create
> something all on her own. She's just a young daughter, not an actual
> apprentice*, but she wants to be a grown up.  Specifically, she wants to
> find her true love.

Well, Fiametta wants Uri, on whom she evidently has a crush, to be her true love, and may be a little unclear as to exactly what the Cluny true love spell does — as is pointed out several times, it does not (and cannot) compel love.  She is disappointed when Uri does not put the ring on when she hands it to him.  But note that he then starts talking about his brother Thur as a possible apprentice to Beneforte.

> ....  Her mom is not around to
> help her navigate these tricky waters, and the housekeeper has neither the
> authority nor the know-how to keep an eye on a magically inclined young
> woman.
>
> How would Fia's coming-of-age be different with a mother who was magically
> aware? And knew the kind of shenanigans girls get up to?

Absent mothers are such a common trope in fairytales.  One of the things that really pleases me about Spirit Ring (to look way ahead) is that Thur does bring his mother back to live with them at the end.  I hope she and Fiametta develop a good relationship!  With their love for Thur in common — and probably future babies — they have a good chance of it.  (Probably important that she and Ruberta get along well, too.)

Katherine