[LMB] OT: Stupid things bureaucrats do (Was OT:SIG)

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Mon Sep 6 04:50:03 BST 2021

 When I worked in Qatar, back in 2014; I heard that it was diplomatically impossible to upgrade the on-base telephone switch (a Nortel 6000).

Seem an expensive upgrade had been brought in via the diplomatic pouch, bypassing Qatar customs - and the Family that had the local Nortel franchise was furious they didn't get to sell the upgrade to the US Army.
So, the Qatari officials told Nortel they be blocked from selling any equipment into Qatar, unless they got their usual cut of ALL sales into Qatar, no matter to whom. No shipping stuff in to the US Military on the sly.

The US Gov didn't like this - they didn't want to pay Local retail for what they could buy in Maryland on GSA Schedule for a lot cheaper.

This was finally resolved (somehow, don't ask me; I only worked there).
Just one of the unclassified stories I have from that time.....