[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

baur baur baur at chello.at
Mon Sep 6 13:52:59 BST 2021

the situation with EV is rather different .. its a dfferent paradigma

an ICE car can only be refiilled at the gas station - no other place is possible at all at a stnadard speed

an EV car can refilled at many different places, with many differnt speeds ..

for an EV the "standard refull" should happen over long times at low rates, when the car is already standing still for other reasons (for example during the night at home, or during the day at work) - in this case the charging speeds is almost completely irrelevant (you car will sit in the company parking lot for 8 hours, at home for 12 hours ..

high speed charging (where charging speed IS relevant) should only occurr when you are on a trip to "refill" for the trip .. here the range of the EV should be long enough that you would be taking a break (for lunch, for toilet use, to stretch your legs) anyways .. and the charging should not take much longer than the typical length of such a break ..

in those 20 to 30 minutes such a break takes the car should have recharged enough to take you to the next such break ..

the "problem" is that people try to move the operating paractices fror ICE to EV without any change and adaption .. and without considering that change is possible (or denying that it possible)

servus

markus