[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Sep 6 14:37:14 BST 2021

> On Sep 6, 2021, at 6:40 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> Not counting waiting in line, how long does a “fill-up” take? With my cars, I try to keep at least a quarter tank as I never want to run out. (An incident when I was a teenager, my parents were expecting to fill-up at X. They saw signs, “X in 25, 10, 5, 2 miles. I was in the back, not paying attention when we got to, “Future site of X!”)
> At the pump, it never takes me more than 5 minutes. So that runs about 5 minutes every 250 miles still keeping a reserve.
> The numbers I hear, which may be wrong or different with different EVs or different charging stations, are 30+ minutes with the same range. Is this correct? Again, I am not certain of my data.

Most people rarely wait at charging stations with EVs, they charge at night.   That saves a lot of time.

At charging stations there are two big variables:   How powerful the charging station is, and how charged up the car is.    The last bit of charging to “top off” is slow.    On a long trip it can be faster to stop and charge more often to avoid that (if you don’t have to go out of your way).

Eventually, as charging stations become more common, they will be more often at convenience stores, so as people get up and stretch their legs, they will spend a little money as they wait.

Tesla Superchargers can charge a 2019 Model 3 Long Range vehicle operating at peak efficiency can recover up to 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes when using their electric vehicle charging stations and charge at rates of up to 1,000 miles per hour.    There’s a new feature that warms the battery to optimal charging temperature as you approach the charger.   That reduces time by 1/4.

The older Tesla Superchargers take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100% on the original 85 kWh Model S.

Porches have more powerful supercharges, but a much smaller network.