[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Mon Sep 6 22:44:00 BST 2021

On 06/09/2021 21:26, Matthew George wrote:
> It's very easy to condemn characters that think educating women was a
> waste.  But, for quite a long part of European history, it =was=.  (Other
> world cultures are too complex for me to say anything about.)  There's no
> point in giving young women skills they won't have an opportunity to use.
> Not until women have the freedom to not spend their entire lives gestating
> and caring for children do their non-homemaking skills matter.

Assumes facts not in evidence:

a) that all that they have time to learn as they are growing up is
caring for children and homemaking, with no time left over.

b) That men are incapable of caring for children or homemaking.

c) That no women will be allowed to do anything *except* dedicate their
lives to gestating+caring for children+homemaking, even though they
might want to do something else.

d) That a women who can no longer gestate (as you so delicately put it)
children and whose children have grown to the point where they can, hkhm
gesteate themselves, is of no further use.

e) That women who can not (for any reason) conceive/gestate are of no
use whatsoever.

Do you even hear yourself?

And all of those assumptions are, of course, baseless, but here's a
counter-example, to really nail it down:

Was educating Elizabeth I (aka Elizabeth Tudor) a waste of time? She
didn't bear any children, was her life wasted? People in the UK might
beg to differ. And yet, the children's mortality at the time was still
quite high, particularly in her family.

You couldn't be more wrong without becoming a parody.