[LMB] OT: No reason

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 6 23:47:46 BST 2021

On Sep 5, 2021, at 8:30 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Every Monday excepting holidays, I go to the Bosque with either Hazel or Anna (the school alternates weeks between grade school and mid-school).
>
> In the Bosque
> TTTO "In the Navy"
>
> In the Bosque
> there are twenty kinds of trees.
> In the Bosque
> kids get mud up to their knees.
> In the Bosque
> you'll find insects by the score.
> In the Bosque
> it's lots of fun to be outdoors.
> In the Bosque,
> In the Bosque!

In answer to a question downthread, I know that ‘bosque’ (boss-kay, but not bosky!) means ‘woods’ or ‘forest’ in Spanish. The first time I recall encountering that word was in the context of Bosque Redondo (round forest). It is NOT a good association.

From Wikipedia:
Fort Sumner was a military fort <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortification> in New Mexico Territory <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_Territory> charged with the internment of Navajo <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_Nation> and Mescalero Apache <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescalero_Apache> populations from 1863 to 1868 at nearby Bosque Redondo.
On October 31, 1862, Congress <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_of_the_United_States> authorized the construction of Fort Sumner. General James Henry Carleton <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Henry_Carleton> initially justified the fort as offering protection to settlers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers> in the Pecos River <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecos_River> valley from the Mescalero Apache <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescalero_Apache>, Kiowa <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiowa>, and Comanche <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche>. He also created the Bosque Redondo reservation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reservation>, a 1,600-square-mile (4,100 km2; 1,000,000-acre) area where over 9,000 Navajo <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_Nation> and Mescalero Apaches <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescalero> were forced to live because of accusations that they were raiding white settlements near their respective homelands. The fort was named for General Edwin Vose Sumner <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Vose_Sumner>.
The reservation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reservation> was to be self-sufficient, while teaching Mescalero Apache <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescalero> and Navajo <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_people> how to be modern farmers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers>. General Edward Canby <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Canby>, whom Carleton replaced, had first suggested that the Navajo people be moved to a series of reservations and be taught new skills. Some in Washington, D.C. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.> thought that the Navajo should not be moved and that a reservation should be created on their own land. Some New Mexico citizens encouraged killing the Navajo or at least removing them from their lands. The 1865 and 1866 corn <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize> crop was sufficient, but in 1867 it was a total failure. Army <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army> officers and Indian Agents realized that Bosque Redondo was a failure, as it had poor water <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water> and too little firewood <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewood> for the numbers of people who were living there. The Mescalero soon ran away; the Navajo stayed longer, but in May 1868 were permitted to return to their native lands.

I like William & Pat’s association better.

Marina