[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Robert Woodward Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 01:03:28 BST 2021

> On Sep 6, 2021, at 1:26 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's very easy to condemn characters that think educating women was a
> waste.  But, for quite a long part of European history, it =was=.  (Other
> world cultures are too complex for me to say anything about.)  There's no
> point in giving young women skills they won't have an opportunity to use.

Do tell. I believe that I have seen references to women busy at with tasks that literacy would make easier. The wives of nobles could find themselves overseeing the family castle while her husband was away. Wives of merchants and craftsmen were involved in their husbands’ work. True, the vast majority of women were peasants or serfs working on the farm, they would be illiterate, but so were all such men as well.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com