[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Sep 7 02:24:20 BST 2021

On Sep 6, 2021, at 8:03 PM, Robert Woodward <Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net> wrote:

>  I believe that I have seen references to women busy at with tasks that literacy would make easier. The wives of nobles could find themselves overseeing the family castle while her husband was away. Wives of merchants and craftsmen were involved in their husbands’ work. True, the vast majority of women were peasants or serfs working on the farm, they would be illiterate, but so were all such men as well.

And not just in lieu of their husbands.  See, for instance, Nicola de la Haye, ~1150-1230, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_de_la_Haie, who was constable of Lincoln Castle, twice defending it in sieges, High Sheriff of Lincoln (the Sheriff of Nottingham was a co-sheriff with her), and by all accounts a very competent person.  She was exceptional, but not unique.

Katherine