[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Sep 7 03:05:16 BST 2021

Is this your daily troll attempt, Matthew?

Why women have needed numeracy and literacy as much as men throughout
European history -- which is not (of course) to say that either sex would
always get this education:

- children are given their first education from their mothers. A literate
mother has children who are introduced to education earlier and are more
likely to take to it.

- because of wars, disease, and accidents, many women have been widowed and
had to support themselves and their children. Their job at that point was
not to gestate but to find work to support themselves & their family.

- for women who were homemakers on farms, that job was substantially
larger than how we perceive it today -- supervising household staff,
feeding large numbers of farm labourers as well as family, making and
tracking budgets, putting down food for winter (without which you'd
starve), supervising children's education, making clothing (which also
involves measuring and altering patterns and understanding measurements),
etc.

- for women whose husbands were artisan or tradespeople, the whole family
often worked in the shop -- numeracy/literacy again likely required. And
there are many cases on record of women inheriting their husbands'
businesses and continuing them.

- innkeepers -- again many cases of women running inns either with their
husbands or alone as widows. And to do that definitely requires literacy
and numeracy.

Most women may not have acquired Latin or Greek, but that didn't mean they
were uneducated. And certainly with the spread of the Reformation and the
Bible in the vernacular, there was an even greater push for teaching
everyone to read so they could read the Holy Word and the Prayer Book for
themselves. And this would still be well before infant/maternal mortality
was significantly reduced.

(And BTW, the greatest reduction in infant mortality is relatively
recent, and certainly well after the increase in girls' education.

To quote the CDC:
"At the beginning of the 20th century, for every 1000 live births, six to
nine women in the United States died of pregnancy-related complications,
and approximately 100 infants died before age 1 year (1,2). From 1915
through 1997, the infant mortality rate declined greater than 90% to 7.2
per 1000 live births, and from 1900 through 1997, the maternal mortality
rate declined almost 99% to less than 0.1 reported death per 1000 live
births (7.7 deaths per 100,000 live births in 1997) (3) (Figure 1 and
Figure 2). Environmental interventions, improvements in nutrition,
advances in clinical medicine, improvements in access to health care,
improvements in surveillance and monitoring of disease, increases in
education levels, and improvements in standards of living contributed to
this remarkable decline (1)."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4838a2.htm )

Alayne

--