[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Sep 7 09:18:44 BST 2021

On 06/09/2021 22:59, Matthew George wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 5:23 PM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
>> Or men?
>>
> Yep.  In the days when monks copied manuscripts by hand, the ones that were
> illiterate were considered better at the job,

No. That's simply not true. We know that there were some copy-ists that
were illiterate, because we have criticism of illiterate copyists in
historical writings.

However, if they had truly been considered "better at the job", then all
the people recruited for copyists would have been illiterate. It's not
like there was a shortage of illiterate people.