[LMB] OT: Duolingo, was weird and wonderful human brain

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Sep 7 12:38:31 BST 2021

On Sep 7, 2021, at 12:56 AM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've thought about Duolingo, but part of my problem is the huge number of
> choices.  Should I go back and improve my Chinese?   Should I go for
> Russian?  Arabic?  What?

I’ve been thinking that I should learn Spanish, now that I’m retired — but just this week it turns out that the wife and children of a Haitian Episcopal priest will, if all goes well, be coming to live in our parish as soon as possible (they are at risk of kidnapping), so I’m going to brush up my French instead (I took French through college, but it’s pretty rusty).  The priest himself speaks excellent English, but he will be staying in Haiti to help his congregation, and his wife and children do not have much English.  Our Episcopal church has helped build and support a school in his parish for some years, and we will do what we can to support the family (to start with they will be living in the household of my fellow warden).  The nearby city of Utica has a lot of resources for refugees (and a large refugee population), so we hope to be able to tap into that as well.

So, I have just joined Duolingo; my name or ID seems to be Kathy274747.

Katherine