[LMB] OT: Duolingo

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:18:44 BST 2021

Jennifer said:

> I'm on Duolingo as J Woodruff (big surprise).

I don't see a J Woodruff. I see a J Woodruff1 and a J Woodruff2. Unless you
are Jack Woodruff, which I see listed as J Woodruff without a number.

> Yes, I am working on 12 languages...very, very slowly.

Wow. What are they?

>I knew French (from high school), German (from college),

Same there, though I learned a lot more French in university and through
immersion programs. It's a Canadian thing, and very much an Ottawa thing.
The odd thing is, they don't teach us Quebec French, they teach us European
French, and they aren't the same.

> and a little Spanish (from elementary school)

You're ahead of me there; I know no Spanish, though it's close enough to
Italian that I can often follow it when I hear it.

> Doing a different one every day provides me enough variety that I
> keep at it.

Cool.

> It's not a perfect way to learn a language, but it's a great
> start.

Exactly.  I confess, I spend time doing Duolingo for the game-play when I
really should be reading novels or conversing with people in the language.
But I figure I'm getting a really good foundation, and simply need to put
more time into all of it.  My goal here is not just interest or brain
training (though there's that too). I really want to become a first-class
Esperantist.

So I signed up for two more Esepranto Zoom classes yesterday. Intermediate,
this time. Something to keep me going for a few more  months.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>