[LMB] OT: Romania was Re: OT: Duolingo

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Sep 7 19:12:21 BST 2021

The most recent Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell by Laurie R. King, _Castle
Shade (2021), is primarily set in Romania and features Queen Marie of
Romania as a main character. I loved the setting, the characters were
interesting, and as usual there was lots of action and the villain was not
obvious.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - and it inspired me to read a great deal more
about 20th century Romanian history which is both complicated and sad. The
Romanian people were not served well by many of their rulers -- although
others did try -- and particularly not by the Communists.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca