[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:05:54 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, September 6th, 2021 at 11:44 PM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/09/2021 21:26, Matthew George wrote:
>
> > It's very easy to condemn characters that think educating women was a
> >
> > waste. But, for quite a long part of European history, it =was=.

Assuming they did not have time to read, yes, I would agree. For a long time.
Thinking of the discussions in 'Gaudy Night' Dorothy Sayers about this theme, written in - or at least published in - 1936.
Thinking of how long it took for women in general (always exceptions of course ) to get out of the kitchen, yes. Right up until after WW2.
Men were the providers, not the care takers.
And frankly it is like that in many places around the world still.

> Was educating Elizabeth I (aka Elizabeth Tudor) a waste of time?

Hardly representative for her time.