[LMB] ;;

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:28:40 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, September 7th, 2021 at 3:24 AM, Katherine (Kathy) Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2021, at 8:03 PM, Robert Woodward Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I believe that I have seen references to women busy at with tasks that literacy would make easier.

Well, sure, that does not mean that they were given the chance.

The wives of nobles could find themselves overseeing the family castle while her husband was away.

To my knowledge, the noblemen were not themselves literate often enough. Of course it depends on where and when. But it is my impression that you had clerics for that.

>Wives of merchants and craftsmen were involved in their husbands’ work.

Sure, and some had their own profession. So that was an education. But if you talk a bookish education, I think it was extremely rare for women to get the chance.

> True, the vast majority of women were peasants or serfs working on the farm, they would be illiterate, but so were all such men as well.

Yes, In the UK, ordinary schooling for kids did not happen until 18eens something and I think it was like that in many European countries.
BMJ, though of course writing fiction, may have been inspired by this when, in a discussion between female characters about The time of Isolation, one of them says "so nice to be able to read and write, you know."