[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Sep 7 21:03:29 BST 2021

On 07/09/2021 20:05, tidsel via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

That's a little bit circular, don't you think? Why not teach them to
read? Because they're not reading. Since they couldn't read, of course
they found other things to do.
> Was educating Elizabeth I (aka Elizabeth Tudor) a waste of time?
> Hardly representative for her time.

Well, she was just an example of a woman that could do as well as any
man of her time, she just needed to be given a chance. The "not
representative" part is just that, unlike other women of her time, she
was given a chance to show what she was capable of.

Note that she was not educated as a future queen, just as a daughter of
a king. She was four when her brother was born, and it was obvious he
would be king and she was out of the contention for the throne. She was
twenty when Edward died, and until age 28 she very much did NOT want to
be viewed as a contender for the throne (or her sister would have her
killed). So during the time when she was being educated, she was not
considered queen material.

So you can't argue that she got a super-special education, she just was
put into position where she was able to show what she was capable of.

If you want someone truly outstanding, think Eleanor of Aquitaine. Now
*she* would make a great drama series.