[LMB] Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Sep 7 21:51:03 BST 2021

Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> Was educating Elizabeth I (aka Elizabeth Tudor) a waste of time?

> On 07/09/2021 20:05, tidsel via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> Hardly representative for her time.

Actually, fOr her class and time, Elizabeth may have received a very good
education -- but not an unknown one. One can point to many
aristocratic women of the 16th century in England who were highly
educated.

See for example,
https://www.elizabethi.org/contents/women/

"Many women in this period were highly educated, like the Queen herself;
Mildred Cecil, Lady Burghley (wife of William Cecil); Mary Dudley, Lady
Sidney, and her daughter Mary Herbert, Countess of Pembroke. Women were
not allowed to go to school or to university, but they could be educated
at home by private tutors. Elizabeth was tutored by the famous Elizabethan
scholar Roger Ascham."

Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> So you can't argue that she got a super-special education, she just was
> put into position where she was able to show what she was capable of.

Agreed.

> If you want someone truly outstanding, think Eleanor of Aquitaine. Now
> *she* would make a great drama series.

Amazing woman.

The YA novel _A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver_ by E.L. Konigsburg
gives a taste of her life.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca