[LMB] Reading about abuse was Re: Chalion trio

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Sep 7 23:58:19 BST 2021

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, tidsel via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> Speaking of which, I remember how hesitant I were to start reading Chalion, wondering if I could make the jump from starships into something so entirely different. And I found that once in, I could not put it down..
> Same with Paladin of Souls. I was really impressed - so many authors stick to what has worked for them, and do not experiment. But I could not handle The Hallowed Hunt, being extremely sensitive to animal abuse. It ruins many wonderfully good books for me. Does anyone else have this particular problem?

I don't enjoy reading about animal abuse and certainly would prefer it not
be included, but it doesn't completely stop me from reading something.

OTOH, I was listening to a few audiobooks of Dana Stabenow novels during
this pandemic, and decided that while I enjoyed her Kate and Liam Alaska
mysteries, her SF, and her Silk Road historicals, I did not like her
thrillers (Blindfold Game and Prepared for Rage) - at all. The violent
torture and murder in those two books -- including being done by some of
the "good" guys -- really turned my stomach.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca