[LMB] Women and education

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 01:18:27 BST 2021

Mattew (I think) asked;

> > Was educating Elizabeth I (aka Elizabeth Tudor) a waste of time?

Tidsel replied:

> Hardly representative for her time.

Well no, but doesn't that illustrate a point?  "The Elizabeth Age" is also
called "The Golden Age", and though there are a lot of things about it that
weren't exactly golden to our eyes, it was a time of prosperity (if not
peace) for those who lived through it; a time of unprecedented creativity
in the arts, and of national growth on numerous levels.

Contrast the education of Elizabeth with that of her sister Mary Tudor, and
the contrasting effects on their reigns and personalities.

It's like a textbook case for the value of giving a woman an education in
the arts and humanities.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.