[LMB] OT: Haiti, was Duolingo, was weird and wonderful human brain

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 8 01:28:36 BST 2021

On Sep 7, 2021, at 4:38 AM, Katherine (Kathy) Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

> I’ve been thinking that I should learn Spanish, now that I’m retired — but just this week it turns out that the wife and children of a Haitian Episcopal priest will, if all goes well, be coming to live in our parish as soon as possible (they are at risk of kidnapping), so I’m going to brush up my French instead (I took French through college, but it’s pretty rusty).  The priest himself speaks excellent English, but he will be staying in Haiti to help his congregation, and his wife and children do not have much English.  Our Episcopal church has helped build and support a school in his parish for some years, and we will do what we can to support the family (to start with they will be living in the household of my fellow warden).

I applaud what you and your parish are doing. I hope the family will be safe, and that their parishioners will be safe once the priest comes back here. Who—what thin-skinned eejit—did they offend that they are at risk for kidnapping?

If any amazing food comes your way, dish! And spill the beans, as it were.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala