[LMB] Education for men

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 01:28:58 BST 2021

Tidsel said;

> To my knowledge, the noblemen were not themselves literate often enough.
Of course it
> depends on where and when. But it is my impression that you had clerics
for that.

Some were literate,some weren't. The literate ones pretty much stand out.
Henry II in the 12th century was known for his erudition and love of books.
He made a huge difference to the history of England. The jurisprudence and
legislative theory of his time was way more significant to the future than
his wars and his dramatic family.

Keep in mind that in the middle ages, "literate" meant "literate in Latin"
because that was the language in which all scholarly works were written,
unless in Byzantium. The point is, by their standards, most of us would not
be considered literate.

Writing in the vernacular was for songs and poems. "Writing" more in the
sense of composing than of "writing down". That was more the field of
Henry's son Richard, but only a few of his poems and songs have survived. I
only know of the text of one ballad in Occiatine, but there may be more.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>