[LMB] OT: Haiti, was Duolingo, was weird and wonderful human brain

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Sep 8 02:26:53 BST 2021

On Sep 7, 2021, at 8:28 PM, A. Marina Fournier via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> I applaud what you and your parish are doing. I hope the family will be safe, and that their parishioners will be safe once the priest comes back here. Who—what thin-skinned eejit—did they offend that they are at risk for kidnapping?

Thanks!  I expect the priest will in fact stay with his people in Haiti, and eventually, when (if?) things stabilize there, his wife and children will rejoin them — but it might be a few years.  Apparently there is a lot of kidnapping going on right now, mostly for money (https://www.forbes.com/sites/riskmap/2021/06/16/data-illustrates-magnitude-of-haitis-kidnap-for-ransom-crisis/?sh=166e71a57259), but the fact that the youngest child was born in the US (while her father was at seminary, I think?) and thus is a US citizen may be making her particularly a target.  She’s 6.

> If any amazing food comes your way, dish! And spill the beans, as it were.

Ooh, that’s a great thought.  If I can learn some recipes, I’ll share!

Katherine