[LMB] Education, was Spirit Ring - Fathers & Daughters

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 08:02:23 BST 2021

Another random thought about education: I've seen land deeds from
properties owned by my great-grandfather. He signed them with an X,
and a literate witness wrote that this was his mark.

A cousin's wife once mentioned that her mother gave her grandmother
a brooch for Mothers Day, the brooch said 'Mum'. They had to tell her
what the word was, she couldn't read it.

We're only a few generations away from times when literacy wasn't
universal.