[LMB] Education for men

Kenton Schoen kdschoen1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:30:26 BST 2021

After Sputnik there was a great effort to reform and modernize science and
math education in the USA.  Part of this was led by School Mathematics
Study Group,  financed by the National Science Foundation, they produced,
among other things a set of large size paperback textbooks.  This was
referred to as The New Math.  My memory is that it included more, sort of
background explanation, like the Associative, Commutative and Distributive
Laws of Addition and Multiplication, rather than just learning your plus
and times tables.

In the ensuing decades I have often joked that my brother and I were the
only students who strongly preferred the New Math to the old.  He is a
university Math professor.

There was a lot of political opposition to the New Math, much of that from
people who did not want federal involvement in curricula,  as that might
lead to nationwide teaching of evolution and that the South weren't the
oppressed good guys before and during the Civil War.

Kenton