[LMB] Women and education

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Sep 8 20:40:15 BST 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021, Kenton Schoen wrote:
> As a teenager, Jane Austen wrote, I guess for her younger siblings, a
> History of England.  It's quite short and very opinionated.  What prompts
> me to write today are the thoughts she included on Mary, Queen of Scots and
> Elizabeth I.  Basically she loved Mary and hated Liz!  Maybe it was all
> satire!

Probably not a satire -- Mary QoS was regarded as a tragic and highly
romantic heroine for many years, much more than Elizabeth I. My impression
is that their relative popularity has shifted more recently -- perhaps as
the 20th Century was referred to as the Second Elizabethan Age in
Britain, or simply because of the efforts of historians/biographers
none-too-impressed with Mary.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor