[LMB] Women and education

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:53:59 BST 2021

From: Kenton Schoen <kdschoen1 at gmail.com>

As a teenager, Jane Austen wrote, I guess for her younger siblings, a
History of England.  It's quite short and very opinionated.  What prompts
me to write today are the thoughts she included on Mary, Queen of Scots and
Elizabeth I.  Basically she loved Mary and hated Liz!  Maybe it was all
satire!
I read it in a collection of her juvinalia,  but I would be sure you could
find it online.
Kenton

Gwynne: I loved studying history, from a young age. And I never could understand
all the Mary-supporters. To me she seemed self-indulgent, and she ignored her
job. Elizabeth was a tough bitch, yes, but dammit she was Queen, and she had her
finger on the pulse. Mary made some shocking choices when it came to finding
partners. And her political incompetence was inexcusable; she grew up at the
French court, she HAD to know how things worked at that level.

Just imagine if Mary had replaced Elizabeth. I don't think the country would have
fared nearly as well.