[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 196, Issue 48

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Sep 9 03:13:50 BST 2021

On 09/09/2021 02:57, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 10:12 PM Jean Lamb <tlambs1138 at charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I might add that being numerate is desperately needed if you're going to
>> weave patterns correctly (cf THE FABRIC OF CIVILIZATION by Virginia
>> Postrel)--the Sieve of Erastothenes has immediate benefits for complicated
>> weaving patterns.
>>

> Sieve of whazzit?  How do you pronounce that?

Exactly the way it's written :-)

It's a way of finding lots of prime numbers - it converts the task of
doing many divisions into what is, essentially, book keeping.

It's also a very simple thing to program, so it's an popular early
exercise. It's is also a nice demonstration about the economies of
scale: it is a lot of work to confirm if an arbitrary number is prime,
it is simple to find lots of (small) prime numbers, and if you want high
prime numbers it can be done, but you need a lot of storage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_of_Eratosthenes