[LMB] Chalion trio

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 9 06:26:43 BST 2021

On Sep 8, 2021, at 7:53 AM, tidsel via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for your answers, I felt like a kind of reality check on this - and other 'sensitivities' or whatever to call it - and I gather not a few people have their hot spots they
> need to avoid, being it books or films.

Happy to validate feelings/experience.

I hated Othello for the innocents’ insecurities being manipulated by Iago, for the malice towards them  and where it led.

For a stellar actor (and the ones in mind are all British), I might be convinced to watch Richard III again. Nothing good came of these two plays.

Coriolanus was a brittle object lesson, and I can do without its lesson, being the wrong demographic.

OTOH, Hamlet and The Scottish Play (cue Blackadder episode Sense & Senility) are considerably more complex—more story arcs, I suppose—and I do understand after watching Branagh’s version of the former, why it is usually performed abridged: for sheer length, approaching 4 hours. In ‘76, I think, I saw Vanessa Redgrave, at the major downtown LA theater venue of the time, as Lady MacBeth. I still recall how eerie the Three Witches scene was. Excellent use of sound and guy wires. I was in the nosebleed seats that are almost affordable to tight-budget students.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala