[LMB] Women and education

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Sep 9 16:58:52 BST 2021

On Sep 8, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, the groundlings at Shax's play like her well enough.
> When he modeled the Fairy Queen after Glorianna, everyone cheered her.
>
> (This information comes via historical fiction, with S. sitting in the back
> of the GLobe biting his nails, while the royal guard is there to arrest him
> for conspiracy against the Crown.  The the Queen comes on stage, all hail
> the queen, hte charges quietly go away.  What book exactly this came from,
> I have no idea.)

Hm, could it be from Antonia Forest’s The Players and the Rebels?  There are certainly some tense moments for Shakespeare politically, though mostly to do with Essex.  Oh dear, I can’t remember the details, I guess I’ll just have to read it again!  (Players and the Rebels is the sequel to The Player’s Boy, also very good.)

Katherine