[LMB] Negri

Sharon Micenko wembleyware at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 01:52:34 BST 2021

Rottnest is a very small island. Because of our climate here it’s good for holidays all year round. With only 45 km of roads and no private cars allowed you either bicycle or walk. Yesterday we trekked out to the West End, (next stop Mauritius) to check out the fur seals, dolphins and Wales, and the birds - all sorts from Ospreys down to swallows, but mostly gulls and shearwaters. The island is most famous for its Quokkas, of course, and the little beggars get everywhere. There was one enterprising individual at the pub who jumped on a bench, jumped onto the table, knocked over a glass and snaffled the cucumber from a Pimm’s. They’re quite fearless as no-one is allowed to touch a Quokka.
I don’t believe there was glacial activity here in the past. The island was cut off from the mainland thousands and thousands of years ago by rising sea water. I’m pretty sure any scouring is from the wind. With nothing to stop it all the way from South Africa you end up walking with a lean on the exposed side. Lake Negri is in the middle part.

Sharon