[LMB] OT: Shakespeare

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 15:52:19 BST 2021

> > On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:18 AM, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > SFAIK it was reasonably regarded, but it is 70 years old and inevitably
> > badly out of date.

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
 That’s funny.

I understand the funny, but I guess with new analysis methods (how were
those methods tested, btw John?) you can get new information from old data.
I like "Contested Will" quite a bit myself, as an interested amateur.

Question: did the popularity of "Shakespeare in Love" some years back, even
though fictionalized, do serious damage to the anti-Stratfordians in
popular culture?

Stray opinion: The Oxfordian movie "Anonymous" with Derek Jacobi wasn't
anywhere near as good as Shakespeare in Love. It did have its moments,
though. My favorite part was the montage where they cut back and forth
between opening performances at the Globe -- reminding us all that
Shakespeare is worth squabbling over because of how incredibly good his
writing is -- and fellow playwrights including Marlowe standing in the
audience. The playwrights have no dialogue, but watching Marlowe seethe
with jealousy as the work just keeps on getting better is silently
hilarious.

Other question: I know it's also fictionalized, but what would you say
about the overall accuracy of Branagh's more recent movie "All is True"?