[LMB] Tea Party - books discussed

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Sep 12 02:22:52 BST 2021

On Sep 11, 2021, at 9:10 PM, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I read “All Systems Red” and hand no desire to read another.   But I see "Network Effect" won a Hugo.
>
> Maybe it is just him calling himself a Murderbot that turned me off.   But I really don’t remember the plot all that well.

Well, that was certainly my attitude before I read any of them — even though I liked other Martha Wells books, I was thinking, why would I want to read something about a murderbot?  But Murderbot itself (never referred to as “he” or “she” — easier than you might think, since it is the narrator) turns out to be so _kind_.  Well, maybe kind is the wrong word.  It is wrestling with what being human means, even though it denies being human.

Katherine