[LMB] OT: Shakespeare

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 03:46:45 BST 2021

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Louann: I guess with new analysis methods (how were
> those methods tested, btw John?) you can get new information from old data
>
> John: This isn't simple stuff, but, very nutshelled,

in short, it is very interesting.  (much snippage...)

> ... also use of 'if',
> 'and' as 'and' and 'and' as 'if' (!) &c.. An author's syntactical and
> grammatical fingerprint, as it were.

Immediate word association: _and_ is sometimes 'if', and _but_ is
sometimes 'without'.
"Touch not the cat but a glove"

and glove doesn't mean what it sounds like either.
google -  'Bot' means without. The 'glove' of a wildcat is the pad. If the
cat is 'ungloved', its claws are unsheathed.

> So, suppose you want to test Hand D of *Sir Thomas More*.

I had to look that up....  they have existing copies of original folios in
original handwriting?  I'm astonished. what kind of paper/parchment/? is it
written on?

Sylvia