[LMB] Education for men

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 12 10:56:15 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, September 8th, 2021 at 2:28 AM, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

> for that.
>
> Some were literate,some weren't. The literate ones pretty much stand out.
>
> Henry II in the 12th century was known for his erudition and love of books.
>
> He made a huge difference to the history of England. The jurisprudence and
>
> legislative theory of his time was way more significant to the future than
>
> his wars and his dramatic family.

You never hear about that,it is just wars and Beckett - interesting, I'll have a look :-)

> Keep in mind that in the middle ages, "literate" meant "literate in Latin"
>
> because that was the language in which all scholarly works were written,
>
> unless in Byzantium. The point is, by their standards, most of us would not
>
> be considered literate.

Scholarly works yes, what about the rest? Would for instance court cases be heard and written down in latin?
Official papers?

I know that correspondence between monarchs in the Scandinavian countries were written in their own language.

 Writing in the vernacular was for songs and poems. "Writing" more in the

> sense of composing than of "writing down". That was more the field of
>
> Henry's son Richard, but only a few of his poems and songs have survived. I
>
> only know of the text of one ballad in Occiatine, but there may be more.
>
> namaste,

It is a very interesting question. Surely some letters, archives, accounts and the like were written in the vernacular?