[LMB] Tea Party - American Gods

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 12 12:01:38 BST 2021

On Sunday, September 12th, 2021 at 06:19, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I brought “American Gods” as my reading years ago when I went with my son
>
> on
>
> > a Cub Scout day trip. Unfortunately I came down with food poisoning
>
> (from not sufficiently
>
> > cooked chicken I was served the night before). Fortunately the site had
>
> good plumbing. But > “American Gods” is ruined for me.
>
> I loved "The Sandman" and many of Gaiman's short stories, but I found
>
> "American Gods" unreadable.

I haven't read the books, but after recommendations by many people I tried the TV series, and I just want to ask, does it get better?

I don't mind that the human central character has one facial expression and the emotional range of a toothbrush, because the supernaturals more than make up for it in characterisation.  But so far it is slow as molasses in winter (as my American great-aunt used to say.)  Mostly because all the fight scenes are ludicrously overdone for length as well as ultra-violence, but the key dialogues also go on too long, till you want to step in and say "Make up your mind!"  If the pace picks up later, I'll give it another chance.

Peter Hews