[LMB] Tea Party - American Gods

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 12 13:57:04 BST 2021

On Sunday, September 12th, 2021 at 14:35, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 12, 2021, at 5:01 AM, Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > I don't mind that the human central character has one facial expression and the emotional range of a toothbrush, because the supernaturals more than make up for it in characterisation. But so far it is slow as molasses in winter (as my American great-aunt used to say.) Mostly because all the fight scenes are ludicrously overdone for length as well as ultra-violence, but the key dialogues also go on too long, till you want to step in and say "Make up your mind!" If the pace picks up later, I'll give it another chance.
>
> The book is kind of slow, but “fight scenes”?

OK, you really don't want to watch the show.  Episode 1 starts with a bunch of Vikings hacking each other to bits - literally, severed arms flying over the battlefield - and ends with a god's minions beating the crap out of the hero, then being reduced to bloody pulp.  I gather that's not in the book.

Peter Hews