[LMB] OT: The Bayeux Tapestry

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 14:01:53 BST 2021

Peter Hews said:

> Not "probably," it's on record that it was, like all such work.

This made me blink, because I think of Peter Hews as reliable in his
information, but I have read a lot about the Bayeux Tapestry and I know of
nothing that records definitively who sewed it, or their gender.

The original legend (from a later century) was that it was sewn by the
ladies in waiting of Queen Matilde. This has been... I don't know if
"disproved" is the word, but it has been shown to be unlikely.

Historical consensus is that it was commissioned by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux,
and stitched by Anglo-Saxons; I'm not sure whether the agreement that the
stitchers were probably women is a plausible supposition - could monks not
sew?  Women did most of the sewing, yes, but this isn't your basic shirt,
it's both "art" and "historical record" and possibly "propaganda", though
for which side of the channel is unclear.

In any case, there are alternate theories about the Tapesty's creation -
that it was encoded as Anglo-Saxon propaganda against William, that it was
created and sewn in the lower Loire Valley, and so on. There is probably a
theory that it was created by aliens.

So Peter, what is the definitive record you are thinking of?

And an ancillary question: who made Church vestments?

namaste,
Elizabeth