[LMB] Tea Party

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Sep 12 16:32:50 BST 2021

On Sep 12, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 10:13 AM brazee <howard at brazee.net <mailto:howard at brazee.net>> wrote:
>
>> It’s not my looks that bother me, it’s my voice.   There’s a big
>> difference on how my voice sounds from within my body and from outside.
>>
> This happens to everyone. Normally, the reverb through your own skull is a
> huge part of how you hear your own voice. Most people don't like their own
> 'outside' voices, either. I'm told that if you hear your voice through a
> mike and/or recorded long enough, it too becomes familiar.

This was a big problem early in the pandemic when my church choir started recording our individual tracks for our choir director to put together.  Pretty much everyone didn’t like the way their voice sounded (even my husband, who has a gorgeous baritone voice) — but we could tell how good the whole assembled virtual choir sounded, so eventually we got used to our own imperfect recordings.

Katherine