[LMB] OT: Tea Party - books discussed - Murderbot

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Sep 12 16:36:47 BST 2021

I love all of Martha Wells' Ile-Rien books. I started with The Death of
the Necromancer, and then discovered the others: The Element of Fire and
The Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy. They're particularly good as audiobooks,
too, which is a sign of good writing.

(I haven't been able to get the short story anthology yet because it's
DRMed eBook only.)

You can see the list at http://marthawells.com/ilerien.htm

Re Murderbot: Howard, the whole point of that series is how Murderbot is
protective, almost parental, of humans - and is not big on killing people.
The series is about Murderbot's learning to trust and be loved and to be
treated as a person. I'd try the second book in the series, _Artificial
Condition_, in which you'll meet the inimitable ART.

Besides _Network Effect_, Wells also won a Hugo Award for Best Novella for
_All Systems Red_ and _Artificial Condition_.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca