[LMB] Tea Party - books discussed

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:27:06 BST 2021

"Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
> Except that in the case of Sir Terry he did not seem to hit his stride
> until at least _Equal Rites_, and _The Colour of Magic_ and _The Light
> Fantastic_ might have been written by a different, and FAR less
> brilliant, author. Certainly, I found them to be less interesting and
> enjoyable.

The two first books are slighter than the rest, no question.  But TCoM
is a satire on other popular works in the genre, such as McCaffrey's
_Dragonriders_ series and Leiber's stories of Fafhrd and the Gray
Mouser.  I expect that its effectiveness, so to speak, depends partly
on one's familiarity with those books, and on one's reaction to such
satire.

Joel