[LMB] Women and education

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:27:15 BST 2021

> > On Sep 12, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Universal basic education only came in because the new industrial
> >> employers needed workers who could read simple instructions and multiply
> >> quantities.  Before that, workers were better illiterate, reading gave
> them
> >> ideas above their station.

 Once the printing press made it feasible for people to read their own
Bibles, people saw the value of teaching people to read.... so they could
read the Bible, of course. Very pious.

Once a literate population existed, it was feasible to make some sort of
income with "improving" books, such as Lady Waggoner's Guide To Young
Ladies.  or How To Improve Your Grammar In 10 Easy Leffons!!! and of
course, Improving Stories About Lives Of Saints.  And then it was a simple
step to, um, non-improving stories about not-saints.

Ta da.  And now we have dreadful stories about false gods, fetch my
smelling salts, the World Hath Gone To Hades.

Sylvia