[LMB] Tea Party - books discussed

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Sep 12 17:35:33 BST 2021

On 12/09/2021 16:49, Harvey Fishman wrote:
> Except that in the case of Sir Terry he did not seem to hit his stride
> until at least _Equal Rites_, and _The Colour of Magic_ and _The Light
> Fantastic_ might have been written by a different, and FAR less
> brilliant, author. Certainly, I found them to be less interesting and
> enjoyable.

Well, when we say "he didn't hit his stride" (and you're right, he
didn't), his off-stride was still worthy of a pretty good mid-list author.

I was reading a collection of his short stories, and the first story he
ever sold struck me as instructive. It was well written, well thought
out, and flawed.

I could see the flaw. It shouldn't be too hard for any competent writer
to fix the flaw. But it was a competent short story and (the ultimate
test), it sold, and young Terry bought his first typewriter with the
proceeds. He was twelve years old at the time.