[LMB] Tea Party - books discussed

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:35:43 BST 2021

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:27 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
> ... _The Colour of Magic_ and _The Light
> > Fantastic_ might have been written by a different, and FAR less
> > brilliant, author. Certainly, I found them to be less interesting and
> > enjoyable.
>
> ...  But TCoM
> is a satire on other popular works in the genre... I expect that its
> effectiveness, so to speak, depends partly on one's familiarity with those
> books, and on one's reaction to such
> satire.
>
> Joel
>
> --

Hamlet, they say, is just a bunch of quotations strung together.
The newer generations mostly haven't read the books Sir PTerry was
satirizing.  They've only met the tropes in derivative works - and so they
think that these are just another derivative, and badly done at that.

The later works, which are takedowns of social tropes instead of SF book
tropes, remain more relevant.

Remember, also, that Pratchett has been accused of stealing ideas from
Harry Potter, because some people cannot find a copyright date in front of
the book.  Or possibly they believe in time travel.

Sylvia