[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 18:05:28 BST 2021

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:39 AM tidsel via Lois-Bujold <

> I just finished 'The Truth' (about starting a newspaper - a new concept)
> and my fav remark is "The young man is also an idealist. He has yet to find
> out that what's in the public interest is not what the public is interested
> in.' I used to choke a bit on that one, and now - not least in pandemic
> times - it is close to making me cry rather than laugh I admit.

The best thing about Discworld is that it so often leaves you laughing...
but either while reading or after you close the book, there's a kick in the
brain that says, This book was written by a man who sees how the world
works, and he is ANGRY.  Because the world is NOT FAIR.  And it can be
very, very cruel.

Sylvia