[LMB] OT: Women and education

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 18:56:04 BST 2021

One reason the Church objected to translation of the Bible was that they
were afraid that bad translations would lead to heresies arising.  There
was some reason behind this.  Translations are inevitably not exact,
particularly between non-related languages (such as Hebrew or Aramaic and
an Indo-European language) and when vernacular Bibles began to appear, new
"heresies" sprang up like mushrooms after a spring rain.

The Church had no objection at all to Latinate laymen (there were actually
quite a few of those, the more of them the higher you went in rank) reading
the Bible.

This is one reason that Muslims believe the only authoritative Quran is the
original Arabic text.  Non-Arabic-speaking Muslims will read translations,
but they go to Arabic-speaking scholars for interpretations.