[LMB] OT: Literacy, vernacular translations; was Women and education

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Sep 12 19:38:52 BST 2021

On Sep 12, 2021, at 1:35 PM, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... In England, at least, some people saw the
> value of reading the bible for themselves, and they espoused literacy. Then
> they were burned at the stake for Lollardry. The establishment - most of
> all, the established Church - thought this was a very bad idea indeed.

Depends on what you mean by “the established Church”.  I guess you mean the Catholic Church before Henry VIII, which fits with when lollardry existed — it’s just that “the established Church” usually refers to the Church of England.  And pretty much as soon as England had split from Rome, English versions of the Bible were authorized.  There were already English versions of parts of the Bible, but Henry VIII had banned them.  The split with Rome was in 1533; in 1534, "Thomas Cranmer sought to advance the King's project by press-ganging ten diocesan bishops to collaborate on an English New Testament, but most delivered their draft portions late, inadequately, or not at all. By 1537 Cranmer was saying that the proposed Bishops' Bible would not be completed until the day after Doomsday.”  Ah, committees. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bible)

Katherine