[LMB] OT: Women and education

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Sep 12 20:03:24 BST 2021

On 12/09/2021 18:35, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> Sylvia said:
>
>> Once the printing press made it feasible for people to read their own
>> Bibles, people saw the value of teaching people to read.... so they could
>> read the Bible, of course. Very pious.
> But that isn't how it happened. In England, at least, some people saw the
> value of reading the bible for themselves, and they espoused literacy. Then
> they were burned at the stake for Lollardry.

Oh, TIL about Lollardry. Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lollardy
it does seem early protestant beliefs had a lot in common with those of
the Lollards.

I'm sure there must be differences in doctrine that I missed, but on the
other hand they were close enough that it was easy for the establishment
to use the previous ruling of Lollardly as heresy.