[LMB] Tea Party - American Gods

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Sep 13 01:14:40 BST 2021

On Sep 12, 2021, at 7:20 PM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel a certain connection to the book because part of story took place at
> The House on the Rock which is a real place. I visited the place back in
> 1988 and found it one of nearest eccentric structures ever, which has a 200
> foot tall sea creature,  the worlds largest carousel, a infinity room and
> tons of other things.

We visited the House on the Rock … <searches my facebook posts for the date> almost exactly 10 years ago, August 2011.  It is … eccentric is a good word.  My facebook post says it is "full of huge, eclectic, not exactly tasteful collections, assembled by Alex Jordan, Jr.” — including a room-sized orchestreon (automated orchestra) and lots of other musical instruments, mostly automated, an armored car that has been tiled (it must weigh a ton), scrimshaw, Faberge eggs, a collection of Burma Shave sequential ads — like these:
Ashes to ashes
Forests to dust
Keep Wisconsin green
Or we’ll
All go Bust
Burma Shave

His beard
Was long
And strong and tough
He lost his
Chicken in the rough
Burma Shave

He lit a match
To check gas tank
That’s why
They call him
Skinless Frank
Burma Shave

Proper
Distance
To him was bunk
Pulled him out
Of some guy’s trunk
Burma Shave.

If you ever get a chance to visit it, it’s certainly unforgettable!

I’ve got American Gods in my to-read pile … maybe it’s time I should actually read it.

Katherine