[LMB] AKICOT: L gmail weirdness

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Mon Sep 13 09:08:11 BST 2021

It is confusing, I agree.

Social/Promotions etc are "Categories", which basically means labels
(but there are also labels, which work differently).

So a message shown under "Social" is still in the Inbox, it's just shown
in a different tab - that's why they all "came back" into Inbox when you
got rid of "Social" - they never left Inbox.

When you create a filter, there is an "Assign Category" toward the
bottom of the filter, where you can assign whichever category you want,
similar to how, a bit higher up, you can assign a label.

I don't know if you can teach gmail that it's classification algorithms
need adjusting, but you can open a misfiled message and select create
filter from the three dots on the right - and then use the filter to
assign a different category, or none. (I think - I never tried with none).