[LMB] AKICOT: L gmail weirdness

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Sep 13 17:40:49 BST 2021

On Sep 13, 2021, at 4:08 AM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> Social/Promotions etc are "Categories", which basically means labels (but there are also labels, which work differently).
>
> So a message shown under "Social" is still in the Inbox, it's just shown in a different tab - that's why they all "came back" into Inbox when you got rid of "Social" - they never left Inbox.
>
> When you create a filter, there is an "Assign Category" toward the bottom of the filter, where you can assign whichever category you want, similar to how, a bit higher up, you can assign a label.

I have never used gmail’s categories, but I use labels _extensively_.  One of the great things about labels for me is that once I have created a label, it works in the Apple Mail client on my desktop (and my erstwhile work desktop, and my laptop, and my phone) as well.  AND I can move messages that came to me at one of my other email addresses into those folders/labels in Apple Mail — so, for instance, my “Activism, local” folder includes email that came to this hamilton.edu address (the college uses gmail) but also to the gmail account I made primarily for political activity AND to the icloud account I also sometimes use.  So much easier to have all related emails in one folder/under one label.

I have been vaguely worried that with all those non-hamilton.edu emails in the folders/labels under that account, I might lose them if somehow I lost my Hamilton account — but I just checked, and those emails do still exist in All Mail in their own accounts, so that’s all right.  I shouldn’t ever lose my Hamilton account, but retirees have to confirm, once a year, that they do still want to retain their email accounts — I have told them that I intend to keep it until they pry it from my cold, dead fingers, but I still worry a bit about slip-ups, or possibly new administrators who might forget that there are still many employees and retirees around for whom their college account is their first, primary, and in many cases only email account.

Katherine